Online dating has transformed the lives of millions of people. But why has this phenomenon become so addictive for single people the world over?
With two out of every five singletons in Europe and the USA now turning to the internet to find a partner, it would be safe to say that the phenomenon of online dating has changed the social and dating habits of tens of millions of people from Newcastle to New York. But why has an activity that could only be classed as an amusing diversion five years ago become such an addictive and central part of so many people’s everyday lives? The answer to this question can be encapsulated in the ten short paragraphs:-
1. No more smokey bars and clubs. In the bad old days, single people on the prowl would trawl the local hostelries in their towns and cities looking for that special connection with someone who takes their fancy. Well, now you can prowl the internet from the comfort of your armchair or office and if you happen to be having a bad hair day, who cares?
2. You don’t have to be a teccy. Most online dating sites are simple to navigate and deliberately don’t incorporate features which are difficult to understand. Even your average internet virgin can master the art of using a dating site.
3. There’s a site that’s just right for you. There are global sites, country specific sites, city specific sites and niche sites for seniors, bikers, single parents, gay guys and girls and just about everything else you can think of. If you can’t find an online service that exactly suits your location and lifestyle, you’re not looking hard enough.
4. A choice of thousands. Most successful sites have thousands of active members on their databases. When you walk into a party or a club, how many single people will you see who might be right for you? Probably only a handful. Well now you can switch on your computer and be completely spoilt for choice.
5. Find just your type. A good dating site will present you with a series of options when you start browsing through the profiles of other members. As well as finding people who you’ll find physically attractive, you’ll also be able to refine your search to people who you’ll also find compatible in terms of personality and lifestyle choices.
6. Instant gratification. Now you don’t have to stand in the corner nursing your beer or glass of wine vainly hoping that the good-looking guy or girl across the room will come over and talk to you. When you spot someone you like on an online dating site – you can just send them a message and introduce yourself. And when you do so, your real email address is never revealed so you don’t have to worry about giving out personal contact details to complete strangers.
7. You control the pace. You can message people as and when you want to and respond to other people’s mails at your leisure. It’s completely up to you how frequently you use your chosen site and who you want to make contact with. Take it fast or take it slow – it’s your choice to make.
8. There’s always someone else. If any member you contact doesn’t respond or you decide that someone you’ve been exchanging mails with isn’t quite suitable, you can just move on to someone else. Good dating sites attract hundreds and in many cases, thousands of new members every day so why put all your eggs in one basket when you have many more baskets at your finger-tips?
9. Widen your social network. Yes, the majority of people join dating sites to put some fizz and sparkle into their love lives; but many people do so to make new friends as well. Maybe you’ve just arrived in a town or city to take up a new job and what better and quicker way is there to start making new friends than to join an online community of like-minded singles in your own age group?
10. It’s great fun. Let’s face it, we could all do with injecting a little more of the fun factor into our lives from time to time and surfing the net for attractive compatible dates is a great way to do just that. And it doesn’t cost any more than a round of drinks so it isn’t really much of a risk in financial terms. There’s very little to lose and everything to gain.
So there you have it; the delights of online dating are available to anyone who has access to a computer screen and if you’re single yourself and you’ve yet to take the plunge, why are you waiting? It’s what the internet is for!
How To Deal With Online Dating
It is fun to date online- you get to imagine what the person you are talking to is like. There may be web cameras and headsets that would lead you to knowing the other person closer but of course, meeting in person is far different from online dating.
Just like the typical setting in our mind, it is really stressful to know that one day, you are going to meet and go out on a date with the person you used to chat with only. How would you be impressive? What would you do so that it will not be your first and last date? Confidence says it all. When that day comes, all you need to have is the reliance in your self and the thought that things will be dealt with naturally. Pretensions are never helpful.
Do not put much pressure on your self and on your date. Treat it as a night of fun no matter what your purpose is- whether you are looking for a night of excitement or hoping to meet your partner for good, you just have to deal with the date with enthusiasm and not many expectations from your date. You just have to enjoy the company of the person with you. It is only the first- so, whatever happens next depends on both of you.
Confidence could be derived from mind conditioning. When you think that you are a person of confidence, it is surely to exude. Could you imagine these people who arrive in a party with all people turning their head just to have a look at that man or woman? You do not have to be very beautiful or be very sexy just to achieve confidence. When you are confident, everything beautiful and sexy follows.
Being insecure is never good. When you feel this way, try to divert your attention. Ask your date questions about her. With that, you can somehow evade the situation where you have to answer questions.
To make a more exciting date and keep your self away from the questions you are not comfortable with, it would be wonderful if you find a similar interest between the two of you and go out. Trying the things or activities together would be very interesting. You could talk about your past experiences about those happenings.
The top most point to remember is that you are a special person who deserves to be happy. You must never be insecure because we are created with individual strengths, we must flaunt them and be gutsy. With that, we could meet people with self-esteem.
Who knows? With this confidence, you will finally meet the lifetime partner you have been waiting for.
P A R T – 2
Risks of Online Dating
Dating seems to be a very exciting term. It would mean a new phase of a person’s life a head. Whatever the purpose of dating is, one must always be responsible and by all means be cautious about being into this kind of activity. Since you are getting involved with unknown individuals, you must equip your self with the necessary protection or security whatever risks there are. Yes, there are risks…
Online dating is of course, safe from outside risks since it happens with a distance between the people involved. However, there is a consequence with the majority of those involved to meet the online partner they have. This is when the risks start.
According to studies in the US, Dating violence is rampant among adolescent girls, especially those reporting having had the experience of coitus or sexual intercourse.
Adolescent girls who were hurt by a date on purpose in the past year are more likely to experience sexual health risks, such as having the possibility to acquire human immunodeficiency virus infection and other sexually transmitted infections, unwanted pregnancy may also happen out of the blue. Sad to say, unwanted pregnancies resort to abortion in some cases.
Women are physically weak. There are a lot of possibilities that they are being taken advantaged of by their dates. The objective of online dating is noble, but there are these people who are using it as a venue for their worldly wants. The local governments are now integrating this issue in their health programs for women as well as the local agency in responsibility for crime-related aspects must do their share.
As for the adult women who are into dating, most of them are out due to long-term relationship heartbreak and so they are there to meet anyone possible. This reason pushes them to the risks of meeting the wrong man but still believing that he is right. With that, they are prone to possible sexual abuses or other forms of abuse.
The most common risk in online dating is both financial and emotional in nature. Financial risk comes in the form of scam. You must be cautious and try to read between the lines if the person is just playing around. The emotional risks are results of having like a married date and so forth.
Dating, companionship and courtship are really good for us but some comes in disguise- they are hidden black agenda, so be careful.
Dating online has made the world a smaller place since meeting that special someone no matter how near or far is just a click away.
If one decides to try online dating, here are few advices one must remember along the way;
1. Take it slow
There are a lot of nice people online but there are also some bad people who just take advantage of others. To be sure whether the person one is corresponding with is for real or just playing games, it is best to look out for inconsistencies. If at any instance, there is a feeling of doubt or something wrong, then its best to stop and move on.
2. Dont give out personals
Since one does not have any idea who this person can be, it is best not to give out any personal information such as last name, real email address and contact numbers. If the person one is corresponding with keeps on pressuring on this issue, it is best to also stop making contact with that person.
3. Ask for a photo
Some people say it does not matter what is in the outside but what is inside the person. Physical appearance believe it or not matters. To authenticate the person one is talking with online, it is best to ask for a photo. For security reasons, it will be best not just one picture but in various settings. If this person is not able to do this, then one should also stop making contact with this person.
4. Proceed with caution
Earning the trust of people does not happen overnight. By taking some time to know more about this person, one will be able to see if this can on any further or be better off meeting someone else.
5. Meet only when ready
Even if a certain level of trust has been established, it is best to only decide to meet when one is ready. Just like meeting someone for the first time, one should take it slow.
6. Choose a public area
Before meeting this person, it is best to tell people like friends and family where one is going. In the interest of safety and security, it is also best to meet in a public place. If there are many people that are around, the safer it will be in case the date does not workout.
Meeting people online may be a little different from meeting someone new through friends. The similarities in both situations are; it takes time to know a person and there is nothing wrong being too careful especially with matters of the heart.
0. The coming of the prophet 1. Love 2. Marriage 3. Children 4. Giving 5. Eating and Drinking 6. Work 7. Joy and Sorrow 8. Houses 9. Pets 10. Clothes 11. Buying and Selling 12. Crime and Punishment 13. Laws 14. Freedom 15. Reason and Passion 16. Pain 17. Self-Knowledge 18. Teaching 19. Friendship 20. Talking 21. Time and Space 22. Good and Evil 23. Prayer 24. Pleasure 25. Beauty 26. Religion 27. Death 28. Forms Of Existence 29. Real vs Virtual 30. The Farewell